5 January 1956
On this day, Kinematograph Weekly reported that: ‘The Essoido Circuit has acquired the New Majestic, Blackburn, having purchased all the shares of Majestic (Blackburn), Ltd. The theatre longed to to the Buxton Theatre Circuit. Ltd., Manchester, of which Mr. Harry Buxton is managing director. It has seating for 1,500 persons. The name of the theatre will be changed to the Essoldo.’
The Essoldo Cinema was a chain of cinemas in the United Kingdom that was active from the 1930s to the 1970s. They were known for their luxurious interiors and high-quality projection and sound equipment.
On 11 October 1957 it was reported that the company also took over the Northern Theatres Company which included the Cinema Royal and the Empire, Blackburn.